Held every October, Cyber Security Awareness Month assists leaders in building organizational cultures of cyber security excellence through high-engagement learning experiences with adaptive, real-world applications. The goal is to help drive synergy and security-centered policies, programs and habits across a given employee-base. Leverage these easy tips to help your employees champion stronger cyber security and cyber security resilience this month.
Why Cyber Security Awareness Month
Cyber crime is growing relentlessly and shows no sign of slowing down. Nearly 60% of Americans report having experienced cyber crime or in some way, falling victim to a cyber scam.
You + Cyber Security Awareness Month
Cyber crime should be top-of-mind for organizational leaders and rank-and-file employees alike. While there’s still time, get a head start and outsmart the hackers. Encourage application of the following cyber security awareness month tips to advance cyber security:
Easy employee awareness tips
- Avoid reusing passwords
- Review security settings
- Slow down when reviewing email
- Use multi-factor authentication
- Secure any cloud-based data
Easy social media security tips
- Check the login page’s visuals
- Manage your privacy settings
- Build a positive online reputation
- Think before you share
- Keep corporate accounts secure
Easy mobile phone security tips
- Patch critical bugs immediately
- Only download trusted apps
- Employees: Get this mobile security app
- Enterprises: Consider MTD solutions
- Backup your data in case of malware
Easy cashless commerce security tips
- Use a lock screen in case of phone loss
- Never transfer money to unknown sites
- Double check payments before completion
- Ask payment requester for more details
- Avoid storing card numbers on your device
Easy smart watch security tips
- Set up a PIN
- Create a pattern lock
- Create “pairing” security with a phone
- Set watch to lock when off of wrist
- Be careful about app downloads
Easy IT leader awareness tips
- Apply stronger email security
- Require multi-factor authentication
- Update your software
- Upgrade your endpoint security
- Provide friendly employee education
Easy ways to generally encourage cyber security
- Highlight how common hacks are
- Try a password manager (if it goes well, tell a friend)
- Assist with an awareness campaign
- Share this article
- Have your team sign up for this newsletter
Did you know?
Eighty-eight percent of professional hackers can infiltrate an organization within 12 hours, which means that time is of the essence.
By 2025, the world will include a collective 175 zettabytes (175 trailed by 21 zeros) of data, which includes everything from healthcare database information to YouTube video data information. Without security for this data, it could be used to target organizations, identity groups or individuals.
Securing tomorrow’s data starts today. How are you championing cyber security awareness month? Share the aforementioned cyber security tips with your colleagues to strengthen your cyber security. When everyone moves forward together, success is soon to follow. Transform cyber security outcomes by educating those around you.
For advice on how to improve cyber security awareness within your organization, check out these tips from Check Point’s executives:
Please see the following cyber security awareness month resource to learn or share more: 10 Cyber Security Awareness Tips. Lastly, to receive more timely cyber security news, top-tier reports and cutting-edge analyses, please sign up for the cybertalk.org newsletter.